Premier League referee Howard Webb retires to take up technical role

Howard Webb has retired from professional refereeing to become the new technical director of Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

The 43-year-old, widely regarded as one of the best referees ever produced in England and highly respected in the world game, brings to an end a 25-year career to be responsible for overseeing the on-field performances of PGMOL match officials.

Webb said: “I am very excited to start this new chapter in my career after a wonderfully rewarding 25 years on the pitch. I have spent over a decade with the best seat in the house for Barclays Premier League matches, been lucky enough to be involved in nine major international tournaments, and taken charge of the UEFA Champions League and FIFA World Cup finals.

Refereeing has given me so much and I think it’s important that match officials who have had the rewards remain in the game to pass on their knowledge.

I also have much more to learn about the business of refereeing and I believe the best place for me to do that is with PGMOL. We all have a common goal of improving refereeing.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo: Meet Nigeria's New Service Chiefs

Motivational Monday: Live your dreams

Naira now 241 against US$1